Friday, April 17, 2009

Beyond Worrying.....

I picked up the local paper at the coffee shop this morning and then sat out on the back deck prior to my work day started and read with interest a story of Quiet Bravery. It shared the story of a fourth grade student standing in the face of violence in a non-violent way. It was a stance on no-bullying and for this, I honor the fact that this student felt compelled to stand up for one of his classmates. What perplexed me most was after sending accolades, well-deserved by the way of the student’s good citizenship and pleasant attitude, the classroom teacher made the statement: “I have some students I have to worry about….” I think it struck a chord within me because sometimes the struggles to make connections are with the students who aren’t compliant; the students who don’t immediately respond to our expectations; and for the students who may, for various reasons, not have pleasant attitudes. With this in mind, it poses the what questions: what are we doing to connect with the students who are complaint and to those who are not; what are we doing to connect with the students who have a pleasant attitude and for those who do not; and what are we doing to connect with the students who respond and for those that don’t. Something for us all to think about every time we walk into our classrooms. In reflection, continue to ask the question: “What actions, beyond worrying, am I taking to connect with every child?” Until next time…..Teach

2 comments:

Angela said...

my thoughts exactly j-dawg....a great "guiding question."

Angela said...

oh how i needed to hear your comment on "chasing the dream" today! thanks for those words. we are making plans all day today and realizing we have no money (except the 3500 in my summer cash account that i am not allowed to touch until then, so i guess we are in the same boat you were....glad to know that it all works out :-)

i will keep you posted!