Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Slow down, give yourself time, and breathe....

I have been on the road all week choosing to drive two hours in the morning and then after the day is done, I drive the two hours back home again. I am reminded that something greater than myself is in control. Take for example on the ride back home I want to control the person in front of me who is piddling along, talking on the cell phone, or highlighting their eyebrows various shades of purple. They seem oblivious to the world outside their car window and continue to impede the road of their hazard. If you happened to be the fly buzzing around the interior this afternoon, it might have played out in this way: "What the .... do you think you are doing you sorry excuse. Get out of my way. Quit painting those eyebrows of yours and instead go to the surgeon for some botox. And one more thing......." as the violin plays on and on.
At the twenty miles to go until I am home marker is when patience is needed. The route I take is inundated with traffic light after traffic light and it doesn't end until I reach my home. One would think that traveling 20 miles on a normal afternoon would take at the very least 20-30 minutes. However, on most days this is not the case. On average it is close to an hour (and sometimes longer) before I grace of halls of my 'stead
This is the conclusion I have reached: I think that I need to practice what I preach, teach. I think I need to slow down. take the time and breathe. On those days when I do find the time, it is amazing all the practice I get to do. When I say practice, I mean drafting. I rehearse inside my head, and later, when the stillness of the night hits, the core thoughts are written on the page. Amazing huh! Not so much. Just living in the ordinary....

No comments: