Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Those varmints...

I have carried this piece of writing with me for quite some time. It is from my father who is 85 years old. He considers himself quite the hunter. In the past, this type of escapade got him into some trouble. Long before he captured these squirrels he would collect peanuts and feed them. I remember once when that was the PC thing to do around our house and the squirrels actually fed right out of my hand. However, the saying "every good deed goes unpunished" is not necessarily true to form when speaking of squirrels. After one squirrel feeding fest, my father discovered that they had stored their wares inside the air conditioner of my mother's car. It had to be replaced. As you can see from the vignette below, the execution varied just a tad. At least he learns from past failures....

“The other morning we thought we heard varmints in the attic but a trap didn't catch anything and the peanuts I left scattered around were untouched. Finally came to the conclusion that the noise came from the roof. I haven't seen a squirrel around all last year and so far this year but all of a sudden Polly saw one in the front yard on Monday so I bought a new trap and once again became the great white hunter. Caught 5 the last three days so there are some around. Anyway Orleans now has 5 less and Brownington has 5 more. (I think) I don't think I'm catching the same one 5 times -- may have to start painting tails!"

No comments: